Sunday, May 25, 2008

Welcome to pen and inklings!




Small ideas in small spaces means to find in the seemingly insignificant, ordinary, dysfuntional moments of life, the extraordinary, the holy and the divine. When i plant a seed and it sprouts, grows, flowers, dies and hands me a pod full of more seeds, i'm astounded! i see the seed as a metaphor for life and even for ideas. Everything that lives began with a seed. Some seeds are so small i wonder how anything could be inside. But given the right conditions new life emerges. This also speaks to me about my own seedling efforts in art or writing this blog. i don't have to know everything to begin. In fact, when i just go ahead and jump in, instead of thinking so much about something, that's when some beautiful, surprising things happen.

So, i hope my blog will be a place of inspiration. A place of sharing ideas about art, writing, faith, God and my ordinary, daily life.


i

The dot above i is a seed.

An idea waiting to be

Thought,

Nurtured,

Loved.

An idea is a fragile thing.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Debra, beautifully said!
It never ceases to amaze me what comes out of you. Thank you for writing out loud. Like your metephor of seeds, it too will grow as you cultivate it. Writing about your ordinary and giving that away encourages and lifts up. KEEP WRITING out loud for the world to read!!lLove you, Storie

Unknown said...

I am not sure why I came up as Madi?:--) oh well!
Storie

Unknown said...

OK...I figured it out. Maddy is registered on google, so it linked my comment to her!
Now you have 3 comments on your face page:--)

Unknown said...

http://thenoreaster.wordpress.com/2008/05/
I think you may really enjoy this blog
love, Storie

pen and inklings said...

Thank you, Madi, for your kind words. I will look up the blog you suggested. Debra

Barney Saltzberg Author, Illustrator, Songwriter said...

I love the dot over the i being a seed. The character in your drawing looks like the letter, 'i'
and the paper/book? he's holding is the seed! I agree keep writing! (This was deleted from lint roller because it was posted on the wrong posting!!!!)

pen and inklings said...

Thanks Barney for your post! This particular 'i' is from the gothic period. I shaped it into a character. The dot of this letter is made from a broadedged nib which gives it the look of a square. This became the packet of "idea seeds" which is not clear in the picture here.

Jenny said...

What a wonderful blog! So happy that our paths crossed.

See you when I visit SM, CA :-)

pen and inklings said...

Thank you Jenny. I'm so glad you stopped by! Let me know whenever you're in Santa Monica, I'd love to see you!